Everything you need to know about mephentermine- Overview, usese, side- effects, and warnings
Mephentermine is a drug that falls under the class of adrenergic and dopaminergic cardiac stimulants and was used in psychiatry, Wyamine nasal decongestant inhalers, and low blood pressure treatment or heart failure. This sympathomimetic (drug that can generate an effect to stimulate postganglionic adrenergic sympathetic nerves) agent reenergizes the adrenergic receptors causing them to release norepinephrine, a hormone neurotransmitter that can help in the mobilization of the brain and body.
The effect and structure of mephentermine are similar to methamphetamine, which is a highly addictive stimulant for your nervous system. Young athletes consider this drug as a way to improve endurance and energy levels as it stimulates the nervous system and corrects blood pressure. But due to abuse of these drugs and the dangerous side effects, this drug has been prohibited by National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) India. Moreover, it i is available in many countries (legally or illegally) and generally used for veterinary use.
It has a positive effect on muscular contradictions in the cardiac muscles (myocardium). It dilates arteries and arterioles present in the musculoskeletal system which can lead to an increase in venous return.
Uses based on reasearches
- Prevention of post-spinal hypotension during caesarean
A study was performed in 2010 to compare the effects of IV infusions phenylephrine and mephentermine on the prevention of maternal hypotension and neonatal outcome in patients receiving spinal anaesthesia during the same time. Interesting, both were found effective in that situation.
There are many incidents recorded where young people suffered from many health issues due to the illegal consumption of this drug just because their peer suggested them, and gradually it turned into an addiction with harmful effects on cardiac health.
- In the initial phase, one may experience headache, nausea, vomiting on a frequent basis.
- In some of the cases, the person may experience high blood pressure, slower/faster heart rate, abnormal heart rhythm (Ventricular Arrhythmias), dizziness, tremors in muscles, anxiety, nervousness, neck pain, and blurred vision.
- In rare cases, it can directly lead to health complications and the problem like Angina (chest pain), fluid retention in lungs, tissue death, and extremely risky high blood pressure.
- Unsafe for pregnant women and during breastfeeding
- Kidney, Liver or Heart patients
- Before or during driving as it can make you sleepy and lead to an accident
So it is advised to consult a medical expert to find if this drug is suitable for you or not. Moreover, the dosage should be taken carefully to avoid its over dosage in any situation.
This content is only for education, and we don't promote any felonious commodity. Please, please stay away from harmful commodities for the betterment of our Nation. Use any pharmaceutical drug under the supervision of a registered medical practitioner.